Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Art of Travel: The Unexpected Obstacle Course

For my first reading for this class, I chose a book that gave a woman’s perspective on living in France for a year, so for my second choice, I decided to read a very similar story; however, from and man’s perspective. I originally thought that it would fun to compare the different perspectives of a man and woman who plan to spend a year in France. I also have to say that I was drawn to the book as well as highly intrigued by the title, A Year in the Merde (which translates to a year in the “shit”).

I couldn’t help but laugh when I realized that in part, the “merde” to which the author is referring is literally dog poop. It’s true; the dog poop here in Paris is quite the problem. Paris is definitely one of the most dog friendly cities in the world and don’t get me wrong, I love the pooches (and honestly wish I had one of my own here with me) but it’s the owners who I have a problem with.

Like the main character of the book, Paul West, I too have noticed that you can’t walk anywhere without going through the obstacle course of dog feces that litters the sidewalks. Also like Paul, I am highly disinterested in ruining my shoes after stepping in it, so I am constantly watching the ground, making sure that I don’t accidentally step into an unwanted surprise, which is a rather unfortunate thing to be doing when you are in a city with as many beautiful things to see as Paris.

I have decided to just accept the presence of dog poop as just yet another part of the Parisians’ blatant disregard for sidewalk etiquette. (i.e. stopping in the middle of the sidewalk, taking up the entire sidewalk, and of course, refusing to follow the “keep to the right” rule.) They just don’t clean up after their pets, despite the fact that there is a law against it and the owner faces a $600 fine if they are caught (not that there is ever anyone around to catch them…). Half the time they don’t even keep their dogs on a leash so how would they even know what the precious creature has left in its wake.

The city employs thousands of street sweepers who are supposed to take care of these little presents, but somehow it’s still a huge problem in everyday life and if these workers go on strike, you can just forget about it might as well slip on some of those little booties that you have to wear in the hospital.

2 comments:

  1. that is hysterical ... I had no idea... you should say something next time you see someone doing it!!! Well, maybe not!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a sophomore in college and planning my trip to Paris, I was dating a fellow (from Atlanta, actually) who did NOT want me to go abroad, especially for a year. He came up with all kinds of lame reasons, none of which I listened to, of course. Finally, in desperation, he warned me that there is dog shit all over the streets. I couldn't stop laughing, which enangered him even more. I guess he thought I didn't know how to look for and avoid it. Needless to say, I broke things off with him soon afterwards. Whenever I am in a big city now I'll yell out - Watch out for the shit! It brings me back to a magical time in my life.

    Continue to enjoy - shit and all.

    ReplyDelete