Thursday, November 5, 2009

French Rock Concert

For one of my classes we have this thing called an "atelier" (workshop), which consists of a separate two hour class once a week. For the atelier we are basically doing a cultural exchange with one of the French Universities here is Paris where we get put into groups of 6 (half French half American) and we have to make a bilingual movie together. Really fun actually and perfect for my other goals involving French friends.

Earlier in the semester as we were introducing ourselves, one of the boys in my group told us that he is in a band and invited all of us to come see the concert that they were having in a few weeks.

Tonight was the night of the concert, so I went with my friend Cassie after our class. It was a really cool experience, although possibly not quite what I was envisioning. We arrived at 8PM, since that was the time it was advertised for (although, to be honest we should have known better having lived in Paris for 2 months now) Of course they didn't start playing until about 9:45PM. The venue was pretty cool, very underground Parisian, near Les Halles. However the bar was really crappy (unacceptable for a concert) they didn't even have limes for Cassie's vodka tonic... come 'on now! Once they started playing, I enjoyed hearing my friends band, which was very Rock and Roll. I have to say that ultimately I don't think that French and Rock go together. The group definitely has a lot of talent I just don't think that the French language goes with the Rock sound... but the covers of American Rock songs that they played were really great and Cassie and I had fun singing along (since we knew all the words)!!

It was definitely a fun and different for us. One of those very authentic Parisian experiences that only comes with having French friends to invite you to said events. I obviously was very happy and felt really cool to be there, especially since we were definitely the only Americans there!

No comments:

Post a Comment