Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Moulin Rouge


This week my friend Cassie's parents are in town. They were nice enough to invite Caitlin and me to come along with them for a soirée à la Moulin Rouge.

The Moulin Rouge is a traditional French cabaret and it is QUITE the show. There are probably somewhere around 40 girls total in the cast and even a group of male dancers as well, which I was not expecting. The show consists of several acts, including the infamous Can-Can, filled with the most outrageous costumes and choreography that you have ever seen! And in between the big acts, there are little acts that come out, presumably while the sets and costumes are being changed. These acts included a Juggler, a Ventriloquist, and a rag doll duo.

I know that you probably think that the Moulin Rouge is sleazy, most people consider it to be more along the lines of a strip club, but that is not it at all. Yes, the girls are topless at some points, but for the most part is a normal show, that showcases all of these peoples' extraordinary talents.

In one of the acts there are live snakes in a tank and one of the dancers swims around with them. Another act has real, live, miniature ponies. And the ventriloquist makes a live dog look like it is talking.

My favorite part of the show had to be the costumes. Despite the somewhat risqué nature, all I wanted was my own chance to try them on! The best way I can describe them is like a vegas showgirl on crack. Huge headdresses, feathers, beads, glitter, they were INCREDIBLE. I wish that I could have taken some pictures, but unfortunately they don't let you bring camera's inside.



What's even more amazing to me is that I have heard from multiple Parisians that the Moulin
Rouge is actually not even the best of all the cabarets here in the city. Two different people
have told us that the Lido, on the Champs Élysées is the best, so Cassie and are buying tickets to see that one in a couple weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hillary! It's Amelia.I saw the pictures. I would sooo want to wear the costumes!

    ReplyDelete