Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cirque Plume

Tonight I took advantage of yet another "free" cultural event that NYU offers us. This event was to go see a show called Le Cirque Plume.

As usual, I was hesitant because I hadn't seen a lot of information about the show so I wasn't exactly sure what it was going to be like but the word "cirque" led me to believe that it would be somewhere along the lines of Cirque de Soleil.

Come to find out, not only is the show like Cirque du Soleil but it is actually the original in the whole "nouveau cirque" movement, which I like to refer to as the adult circus.

The show was really wonderful! It was held in a
big tent on the very edge of the
19th arrondisement (quite the trek from my apt. but definitel worth it!) Although it is not quite as grand as Cirque Du Soleil, some of the acts are very similar. And one thing that I liked about this show over Cirque du Soleil was that there was a sort of plot line and story that carried on over the different acts; it was slightly more theatrical rather than just the acrobatics. This specific version was all about art so the theme of artists and painting was carried on throughout the whole show.

After the show there is a front room of the tent, where you can get brochures about the show, but memorabilia (bien sur!) and there is a sort of concession stand, but it has legit food and there is a whole area filled with tables where you can sit. Since it was raining, my friends and I decided to stay, enjoy and a crepe, and chat for a while. It was a very warm and inviting atmosphere and even decorated to the point where you didn't feel like you were sitting in a circus tent.

Another great success in expanding my cultural horizons...

No comments:

Post a Comment