Sunday, September 20, 2009

La Bonheur des Dames

I feel like this last week was my first REAL week in Paris. When I look back to the week of my arrival, everything is such a blur! And with all of the orientation activities that they had us doing, I hardly had any time for actual Parisian things, not mention the fact that I still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that I am in freaking Paris, France!!!

This past week I had several "cultural experiences" which I feel are worth sharing. By the way... No, classes ST
ILL haven't started, this week commences the last week of our intensive french preliminary course, which FYI is a complete and total bore. Never in my life would I have thought that I would actually WANT classes to start, but let me tell you it's been 4 1/2 months of summer, and I am ready for some routine!!

So Wednesday night we decided to go to a jazz club to shake things up a bit but to still have a somewhat relaxing evening. It was so cute. The club that we chose out of one of the guide book is right around where all the Parisian Universities are. It was a really great way to spend a weeknight. My two new friends, Cassie, Caitlin, and I sat and enjoyed the music and had some nice conversation. The jazz band was composed of all these cute old men and they were really great!

Thursday night was the real treat... A friend of a friend had informed us of a club called La Bonheur des dames. (the happiness of the women) and apparently on Thursday nights, they hold a ladies night where you can make
a reservation and you have a buffet dinner and an open bar... COMPLETELY ON THE HOUSE. Now I am a big fan of the saying, "if it's too good to be true then it probably is" so I was more than hesitant for this excursion, but agreed to go because it was an interesting enough proposition. It ended up being completely true! We got in without any problem whatsoever and had a great night. We got there a little late for the dinner, so there wasn't much left since it was a buffet, but if we had been there on time, it would have been perfect. One of the funniest parts was that after the dinner and dessert, there were male strippers!! This was hysterical... especially when one of the girls I was with got a lap dance! After about 11:30 the club opens to everyone, so it becomes like a normal nightclub... super fun! It's definitely safe to say that this is probably where I will be spending the majority of my Thursday nights!

Friday night I babysat for one of the families here who I think I am going to babysit for a lot while I am here. I found several families because a woman who I know from Fire Island helped me by sending my resume out to some of her Parisian friends. Great way to make sure I have some extra Euros to support my excessive shopping habit.

Saturday my friend Cassie and I went to the famous market called Les Marchées Puces St. Ouen. Which is the largest flea market in the world. It was written up in all of the guide books and seemed like a awesome way to spend a Saturday afternoon, but getting there was a little tricky. You have to take the 4 metro to the very last stop and then when you get off, it's not in the best area (to say the least) It was sort of like being on Canal street but scarier. So Cass and I were clutching our purses for dear life and tried frantically to get someone to point us in the right direction, as signage was limited. But once we found it, it was amazing... there were just stall after stall of old fur coats, antique furniture, vintage clothes and jewelry, and art. I definitely want to go back to this place again now that I know how to find it. But it was really funny how this quaint market was tucked almost inside this really sketchy street vendor area.

So that was my week! Sorry for the long post, I will try to update more frequently so my posts wont be quite so long!

à bientot!
Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment