Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Weekend in Prague

With the end of the semester drawing to a close I have been super busy with school stuff, which means that unfortunately I haven't had time to write about some of my latest adventures... ones that have taken me outside of Paris.

I would like to start off this massive update by sharing the trip I took to Prague over Thanksgiving weekend. I have already talked a little bit about this trip in m previous post about my Thanksgiving experience here is Paris, but I thought it might be nice to go into a little more detail!


Day 1:
On Friday morning we got up bright and early to go catch the Beauvais but that takes you to the airport a little over an hour outside the city. After a nice little nap on the bus, we made it to the airport checked in and had just enough time to grab a bite to eat before we boarded the plane for the hour and a half flight to Prague. Once we landed, in disbelief that we were finally on our much awaited trip, we caught a cab and made our way to the hotel. Then we set out to explore Prague. We were so shocked by how much smaller Prague is in comparison to Paris (which I will say again is absolutely massive) Anyways... Our first stop was Old Town Square to see the Astronomical clock. We also saw that they were starting to set up an awesome Christmas market, which we came back to visit the next day.

After walking around for a while and taking in some of the sites, we went back to the hotel to freshen up and get ready for dinner.

At the hotel we also decided to try another Prague "delicacy" Absinth, which is not sold in the states or most other places in Europe. Unfortunately this was not very exciting and mostly I just think that it tastes absolute revolting but there goes something to check off the list of things to do before I die.

My friend Nolan is studying abroad in Prague the semester so I was hoping that we would have the chance to meet up with him and his friends to go out, but I hadn't heard from him so we set out on our own had dinner and then picked a random bar from the suggestions on the NYU Prague website... Shock when we actually ran into Nolan!! This ended up to be great, we all went out and they showed us some of the places where they liked to go. We enjoyed a night of dancing with random Czech strangers and sampling the local beer, despite the fact that I don't like beer...


Needless to say after our day of traveling and site seeing we were pretty exhausted, so we headed home fairly early and tried to get some sleep in before it was time to get up and do it all over again.

Day 2:
We got up early enough on Saturday morning to catch the breakfast that was included in the price of our room and then we set out to do some more sightseeing. We passed through Old Town Square again and the Christmas market was up and running so we perused the stalls before continuing on the Charles Bridge.


After leisurely crossing Charles bridge and taking in the picturesque views of Prague, we climbed the hill all the way up to Prague Castle, which was really beautiful and from the top of the hill we could see more incredible views of the entire city. After we toured the castle and cathedral a little bit we climbed back down and found the most adorable place to have (a very late) brunch and warm up for a little while.


By the time we were done it was starting to get dark outside (it gets dark reallly early in Prague) so we headed back to the center of town to complete our search for souvenirs and such before calling it a night because our flight left super early the next morning.

Day 3:
We left Prague at 9:30 AM. After the morning of traveling I have to say that I was pretty glad to finally make it back to Paris and home. Traveling is wonderful but I was absolutely exhausted and ready to relax in my apartment for a little while! I have to say though, that Prague was the perfect place for a weekend trip. We had just enough time to see the main sites that we wanted to check out and get a good idea of the Czech culture! I would recommend Prague to anyone looking for a fun weekend trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment