Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Strasbourg: La Capitale de Noël

This past weekend I completed the last of my journeys for my time here in France. Cassie, Caitlin and I took a nice little over night trip to Strasbourg. Now you may ask, "why Strasbourg?" Aside from being a quaint little town in Alsace, the eastern region of France closest to Germany, it is the Christmas capitol of the world! This is to say that hey have Christmas decorations up ALL OVER the city. Lights of every street. Every shop front decorated. annnnnd They have the biggest Christmas market that has been happening every year since 1570!!!

When we heard about the Christmas festival, we decided that Strasbourg would be the perfect final trip to take, at the start of December to get us in the holiday spirit and I have to say, of all the trips that we took I think that Strasbourg may have been my favorite.

We left on Friday morning by train. (about a two and a half hour ride) After we arrived we made our way to the hotel, where we were greeted by a corridor, completely covered in lights, fake snow, and of course... stuffed polar bears?? It was precious, to say the least!

We spent the remainder of our day on Friday checking out all of the markets, sampling hot cider, and other traditional Strasbourg Christmas treats. The markets were cool there are several small ones scattered throughout the city that each have their own unique feel, but there wasn't that much there that I loved. Or at least nothing that I didn't feel like I could get at the market on the Champs Élysées, aside from the wonderful Christmas bredle (little cookies) market, and the tastes of Alsace market. Still I loved perusing the stalls and taking in the Christmas spirit... nice Jewish girl for ya!


I loved that everyone was so cheery and happy because like in any big city, I don't think you get too much of that in Paris.


There wasn't too much else to the trip besides a little more sightseeing and eating, but it was relaxing and completely enjoyable! I also have decided that I LOVE traveling by train. So much more roomy than a plane and no stress of the airport or checking baggage aka weight limits to worry about (one of the things on the top of my mind at the moment)... Are there any trains that cross the Atlantic?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment